Monday, December 30, 2013

"I-love-you-so-much-I-can't-stand-it" hair

She is a little fairy of joy. Her feet dance to the tune of the songs on the radio and the songs in her heart. Her joy is contagious and sometimes a little bit dangerous.

She is the wild sort.

Overwhelmed by joy or a surge of 4 year old energy, she nearly bursts with excitement at times. To those who are in her path, beware. You are in a danger zone.

Often it's a head severing neck hug. A giant leap onto a poor, unsuspecting seated or standing individual. A dancing leg hug that knocks a person to the ground.

It's dangerous.

One day last week we were sitting on the floor downstairs in the middle of a pile of matchbox cars, dollies and plastic animals. My little playmate and I acted out the stories of flying horses and girls on sunny vacations. There was drama, there was excitement, there was a lot of make believe.

I was unprepared.

Little figures went flying as my bright eyed companion exploded from her seat with a shout, "I LOVE YOU SO MUCH I CAN'T STAND IT!" Little arms circled my head and neck. I may or may not have screamed, feeling as much loved as I felt scared. Scared for my life and yes, a bit scared for the state of my hair.

She may be small but she is a wiry one. I closed my eyes to protect them.  Her grip on my head was strong and she jumped while declaring her sentiment with joyous abandon, her lung capacity fully engaged.

We fell over, crashing into a pile of plastic hooves and car bumpers. My attacker let go and we laughed. I was thrilled to have survived and she was thrilled with the state of my new coiffure.

It was exactly then that the kitchen door opened, and my weary man returned from a long day at work. He looked down the stairs and saw us. He inquired about the state of my much teased locks.

"I-Love-You-So-Much-I-Can't-Stand-It," I offered.

He understood. He knows a joy-splosion when he sees one.



In case you were wondering, we do not condone these violent expressions of affection. In fact, we are trying to teach her a gentler way to express herself.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

:-) Love your disclaimer at the end.

floofie said...

It seemed necessary! :)