Tuesday, January 30, 2018

little graces

The sky was gray today. The sort of gray that people paint their walls and declare them all modern and stylish.

I'm apparently out of style, what with my golden colored walls to match the color of the sunshine when it streams through my windows. 

It was very gray, accented with the white of a recent snowfall. No sunshiney accents today. 

We walked the block to town, my little companion and I, wishing that we had worn hats on our ears and glad that mittens tucked our hands all cozy. It was a needed outing, with keys and phone but no purse so as to tempt our wants with opportunity. Sometimes a little air and the bright shiny displays of storefront windows can transport one's spirit from a gray day. 

She skipped along and we rhymed aloud, as we are want to do. She is never quiet, always singing or rhyming or pointing out the little details of the world around us. My "noticer", so full of words. 

We needed this outing today. Her spirit strong and chafing at my need for quiet and rest. We keep a busy schedule, though attempt to keep our Thursdays somewhat open. My pregnant, introverted self needs to know that at some point there is hope of home in a week.

We arrived home after an hour of adventuring, rosy cheeked and she declaring victory from our "race" down the sidewalk. She was far ahead, while I waddled behind holding on to the bowling ball that feels precariously attached to my front. I'm certain that the driver of the car who passed us mid-race had a humorous story to share for the rest of their day. 

Homeschooling is not for the faint of heart, I later observed, while the pigtailed girl did math with all emotions on deck. School took longer today, as it often does when the schooled cries with great exasperation and their head in their hands, "I SIMPLY CANNOT DO THIS!" 

It is an oft repeated phrase, after which the teacher comes up with a variety of responses. Some to cheer on the defeated, others to push the weary to the greatness that lies within and yet others with consequences that will ensue if the schooled does not sit up and grab their pencil and actually try the next problem which mirrors the 5 they have already successfully accomplished. 

Our day involved a lot of crying out and cajoling and tiredness and prayers uttered from a mother's heart and lips for grace to give and eyes to see the little graces. The little graces all tucked in the moments of the day we lived, between the tears and the frustrations, in piles of laundry and dirty dishes. In laughter and snuggles and broken pencils and misunderstandings.

And He gave them - eyes to see and grace to give. A Father who bestows on us good gifts when we ask - the good gifts all tucked in the minutes of the clock. Hidden from our earthly eyes under trappings of mess and struggle and gray sky. And yet, when we see them - they yield a rich bounty of surprising beauty and unearthly joy.

Thankful me, for little graces given and received. A treasure in my hands waiting to be opened. 



1 comment:

Grace said...

Nice, Sara. I especially like the last three paragraphs.