Sunday, August 14, 2011

last laugh

It has been a good day.

This morning arrived on the sound of gentle raindrops dancing across the leaves outside my window. It was delightfully dreamy, but the busyness of the day called to me and I answered its call. Sliding my feet from between the soft, red sheets I plodded into the day with my eyes half shut. No time for drinking in the beauty of simplicity in the quietness, on the table was a long list that pulled my mind and body in different directions.

A few hours into my day, and after wishing that I had taken some quiet moments with Jesus before I started in on the day, I stood in the kitchen defeated. My pancakes were burnt, my long list seemed to have grown longer overnight, my heart was frustrated, my toddler was crying, my husband was annoyed. I was quite sure that the enemy of my soul was taking delight in this discord and the joylessness of my heart. Convinced that the rest of the day was completely ruined, I sat down with a piece of peanut butter toast (my burnt pancake replacement) at the table with my family and let out a great sigh.

Never one to let my heart wallow in the mire of sadness for long, my dear husband found lightness and joy in our little breakfast. He is the master of sound effects and helped Evie eat bite after bite of cows, chainsaws and bumblebees. He teased me about me. He laughed in the face of frustration and unmet expectation with confidence. And he invited me to sit back and enjoy the ride I hopped on when I climbed out of bed this morning- the ride called "today."

And then the day unfolded...more busyness, laughter, reponsibilities, tiredness, conversation, meals, family, the clever words and the singong voice of a 2 year old and the haunting cries of loons across the lake. And here we are, watching Don Knotts climb the staircase in  a haunted mansion as Kyle snores on the floor at my feet. And as the darkness settles in around me I smile as I enjoy the last laugh.

No comments: