Thursday, August 4, 2011

sweet things

I love summer. I love summer so much that I would want to marry it (if I wasn't already taken, that is).

Summer is...the sounds of life floating in my open window on a warm breeze, the smell of sunshine on my baby's skin, walking barefoot through the grass, beads of water dancing on flower petals in my garden, vegetables fresh from the vine and warm from the sun, the taste of lemonade, laundry hanging on the line, butterflies, driving with my windows down and the wind in my hair. It is beauty for all I touch, taste, see and hear.

And so August arrives. I fight my inclination to let the days slip away in my mind, to feel a sense of dread at the coming seasons. How I long to live in the moment, to take today for what it is...the sound of cicadas, warm breeze, the green leaves covering the place above which I sit. To hold on to today and live it to the fullest. I will climb on my soapbox and preach to myself. Don't waste today worrying about tomorrow. Tomorrow will come regardless of whether or not I think about it. Might as well just make do with today and let tomorrow worry about itself.

Evie sleeps and I close my eyes...daydream of the loveliness of today and the beauty of the world with my sister in it. She is visiting, from a land far far away, and I'm just trying to soak in every minute. Days with her make the sweet days of summer even sweeter...

No comments: