Friday, September 30, 2011

masterpiece

As the artist stares at the blank canvas his mind sees the picture that his hand will create. He thinks in color and detail. Gathering paint on the bristles, he moves the brush over the canvas with confident strokes. For the beauty that only he could imagine is now becoming a masterpiece for all to see.

I am not that artist. So, I take the alphabet and use it as the artist does his brush, composing a picture that takes an imagination to see. I think in pictures, so I write in pictures.

God made us all so unique. We are His masterpieces, human beings created in His mind, formed in His image, skillfully designed and knit together by His hands. He is the master artist. I marvel at His work.  Individuals who are so different and yet much the same. Nature around us displays more of God's creativity. Impeccable. Breathtaking. Inexpressible and full of His glory.

God made me. He fashioned me from dust into a living, breathing creature that thinks, dreams and loves. He made me uniquely, in a way that only He can understand.  He knows my days. He knows my heart and speaks tenderly to it. In my weakness and failure He alone is my strength and hope.

I love when life is efficient. I love to write out my list of errands so that my drive takes me in a complete circle without backtracking or retracing my steps. I love when things make sense. I try to find a pattern in life so that I can make my decisions based upon the proof of what has or has not worked. Faith does not come naturally to me. Yet, I really love the joy I experience when I place my my logical and fearful mind into the hands of my ever faithful, all knowing Creator. It is then that I can start to see the masterful and deliberate workings in my circumstances as markings of an artist at work.

God is the artist of my life. He knows the finished product that the brushstrokes of my existence will create. He saw the end before I even began.  And he continues to create each day of my life as part of something that will become even more beautiful.

"O Lord, you have searched me and known me.
You know when I sit down and when I rise up.
You understand my thoughts from afar.
You scrutinize my path and my lying down and are intimately acquainted with all my ways.
Even before there is a word on my tongue, O Lord, You know it all.
You have enclosed me behind and before, and laid Your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, it is too high, I cannot attain to it....
I will give thanks to you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; wonderful are Your works and my soul knows it very well."  Psalm 139:1-6,14

No comments: