Monday, May 16, 2011

opposites

When God closes a door sometimes He closes the window and latches it tightly. A walk around the house reveals that every other window is latched tightly. During that walk around the house I trip on a rug and sprain my ankle. I hobble over to a chair and try to and make sense of what simply was going to be a visit with a friend....

This morning, I was blessed with a few moments to myself before the day began. God gently invited me to sit at His feet. I asked Him to encourage me..I have felt so worn and weary. He opened His word and showed me verses that described my wicked heart. "God has looked down from heaven upon the sons of men to see if there is anyone who understands, who seeks after God. Every one of them has turned aside; together they have become corrupt, there is no one who does good not even one." Psalm 53:2-3. Indirectly, they were encouragement I needed. For even when my body is worn my heart can rest and rejoice in the greatness of being saved from itself. I know it is truth, even when it does "feel" as marvelously true as I it is. I asked God to use these truths throughout the day to continue to teach me.

I do not understand God, and I never will. His ways are much higher than mine. I cannot decipher his workings with a mystery decoder ring.  I am simply asked to just trust and obey. To trust that God's love and forgiveness have washed over me and He has covered my sinful heart with His righteousness. To trust that His love is everlasting and He will never leave or forsake me. To trust that He is orchestrating the events of my life for my good and His glory. To trust that He is my portion and He is enough. Through that trust, I am called to obey. To obey with the joy and abandon of a child who rushes headlong into life fully trusting that her parents will take care of the necessaries. She need only live...and let someone else carry the worries.

"But as for me, I am like a green olive tree in the house of God; I trust in the lovingkindness of God forever and ever. I will give You thanks forever, because you have done it, and I will wait on Your name, for it is good,  in the presence of your godly ones." Psalms 52: 8-9

No comments: