Saturday, October 15, 2011

Jesus

In the stillness of the morning, as the day slowly crawls out of her slumber, I find a rare and precious jewel in moments spent at the feet of Jesus.

After a night in which I woke up and thought through an upcoming event with great dread, it feels peaceful beyond comprehension to pour out my heart before my God and to listen to His voice through Scripture. To discover a new perspective, a hopeful perspective. To listen to God instruct my wicked, sinful heart in His gospel and grace.

I was reminded of a recent encounter with God. In an elevator with a woman who, and we could all make our own judgements, looked as though she had not cared for herself well. I don't remember exactly what I thought, but, knowing myself well, I know that my initial thoughts were not grace filled. And then, God spoke to my heart. He said, "Sara, I love her. Just as much as I love you. I made her and I love her." I was in wonderment at His voice. I still am.

How I long to be more like Jesus. To allow Him to flow in and through me. To be completely submitted to His will in all things. Overflowing with "grace upon grace" (John 1:16) and the gospel.

Nothing so wonderful happens quickly, but in the stillness, in the darkness, in the heartache, in whatever God has to use to soften and shape my stubborn heart.

And now the day begins...the sound of a busy 2 year old singing "mama," breakfast to make, floors to vacuum, laundry to be folded, laughs to be laughed, games to be played and Jesus to be glorified.

"This book of the law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it; for then you will be make your way prosperous, and then you will have success. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous! Do not tremble or be dismayed , for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go." Joshua 1: 8-9

No comments: