Wednesday, October 26, 2011

a tribute to a true heart

It was a year ago, an autumn day, when we met. Feeling as if all hope was lost and I was half gone already, I looked for help. She took my hand.

I put on my shoes.We started walking. It was slow going at first but climbing out of a deep pit doesn't happen instantly. This would take endurance. I prayed for a miracle. Through her words, God answered me. She told me that God was doing good things in this journey and there was a purpose in each step.

I leaned in to her strength and wisdom. When I felt as if I could not take another step she sat me down and let me rest awhile, cheering me on for the steps that I had taken. She showed me pictures of her own story, the very reasons that she knew how to hope in despair.

Along the way, she introduced me to a new friend. A hippo named Courage. He's a quiet little hippo, but in his presence is a strength that I take hold of and carry on.

It seemed as if life was finally starting to look like something worth living well. I felt as if joy was bubbling up out of the well of my heart that had once contained despair. My legs felt stronger and my burdens felt light. I was full of dreams. Being me felt good.

And then one day... the sort of day that lurks in the back of your mind, she let go. I had always thought that it would be I who cut the boat free from the dock. In a strange twist of God's mysterious will, the dock was pulled in. She let go of my hand. She was moving on. I think my heart fell out of my chest for a minute, but in the strength of my newly discovered courage my despair melted. In it's place was a peace and hope that I had not known for a long while.

My unaided boat felt sure and steady in the uncertain waters at first. It seemed as if the fruits of the past year of labor were delicious and sweet. And then, the storm resumed.  And here I sit, trying to remember what this bag of tools contains and what each one should be used for. Courage cheers me on.

I cannot. I will not give up.

And for this, I give my deepest gratitude in tribute to a true heart.



1 comment:

Princess Poopsie said...

Oh my floof. I pray you stay strong. And have hope. I luff you.