Wednesday, May 16, 2012

happy mama

The sound of little feet padding up beside my bed brought me back from the land of nod. I opened my eyes to see a curly-mopped girl handing me a purple piece of paper. "Happy Mothers Day," she announced her eyes still full of sleep.

Behind her walked daddy, the tray in his hands bringing with it sweet smells of breakfast delights. He set it down beside me. Freshly made waffles and eggs. Maple syrup and a glass of orange juice. Strawberries and butter. A tiny bouquet of violas from our little garden and a card full of sweet nothings. "Happy Mother's Day," he echoed.

Such a surprise. And even more surprising that I slept through the clangings and bangings of his preparations. I'm usually one to wake up with the sounds of morning.

Along with the fanciful Evie decorated card and Andy's sweet delicious breakfast was God's gift to this mama...rest. Much needed rest.

I might also add that much care was taken in advance to make sure that all of the details were in place for this. The previous Thursday evening Andy commented on how he recognized my need for some time alone and encouraged me to disappear for a bit. I longed for a quiet place in nature but ended up at the end of a parking lot in my car. It was lovely. I sat there lost in thought until I found my way home a lovely 20 minutes later. It's quite amazing how even a few minutes of rest can unburden a weary soul. In my time away, he carefully planned and prepared for his Sunday morning surprises. It's not just the gift that cheers a heart, but sometimes more the thoughtful preparation that preceded it.

To my ever thoughtful and patient husband, thank you for making me feel appreciated and special. It is an honor to be your wife. I love you with all my heart.

To the mop topped little cherub who made me a mama, thank you for smothering me with your laughter and love. Your joy is a gift to my days. How I love you.

No comments: