Friday, May 25, 2012

wordings

I love Evie-speak. Its English with a twist. A mixed up jumble of words that are real, words that are almost real and words that are random word-like sounds seemingly pulled from nowhere and used as effortlessly as the air she breathes. And then she launches off into a story made of words that simply are not. We often ask her if she speaks Chinese and she thinks we are hilarious. The feeling is quite mutual.

Today she started digging in my flower pots, pots full of rich, black soil and petunias. After a bit I noticed her doings and chided her. She was instantly full of remorse and began to put the "comtist" back. "The what?" I asked her. "The comtist," she replied matter-of-factly and scooped up a handful. It took me a minute, but it got it. Compost. We have been gardening lately and picked up a large load of compost for our garden. I guess it made an impression.

In Evie-speak, most words are made plural by adding "is" at the end. Geese-is. Snack-is. Swing-is. Book-is. There are some exceptions to this rule, however, but they are entirely at her discretion. We were out and about the other day when she launched into a story about being hungry and needing a "snack-is." I asked her where she heard the words she used. "From speakings," she replied,"I listen to speakings."

Evie can see the elementary school park from our front yard. Often, during the day, she runs out and looks down the street to see if children are playing there. If she sees them there, she calls out dramatically,"Oh my stars! The kids are there at my park. What are we going to do about this?" Sometimes its "Oh my stars and stripes!" Recently, however, due to a sweet little music CD she loves to listen to which has a song with the words "Oh my gosh" in it, she has changed her exclamation. "Oh my gosh and stars!" she says with a flourish, leaning a little forward and to the side with her arms stretched out, her face contorted.

Some words are simply made up, but they are inserted into regular sentences or songs with ease. Hosqwack. Cockwass. Sibbies. Bahbah. Sometimes there are others, but these are the usuals. They are most often used in place of nouns. When we ask her what these words mean, she erupts into raucous laughter. What do they really mean? We may never know.

She loves to talk...and sing. Sometimes she talks faster than her mind can formulate words so groupings of sounds take their place. Other times, she can come up with stories so quickly I can hardly follow along. Songs are often a narration of the current events set to music. Maybe, just maybe she comes by that honestly...

What is an "eyetip"? A contact. An "eartip"? A Q-tip. Hot summer days are perfect for a dip in a "swimming cool." "Pincils" are yogurt covered pretzels from the bulk bins at Grassroots co-op. That big brown delivery truck that zooms through the neighborhood? The P.S truck. A tasty snack or meal is followed by a lip smack and a "thank you, this is TA- LICIOUS!" Evie always loves a trip to "Nards!", the home improvement store that makes her so excited she throws her hands up in the air.

Her little mind captures the world so she can describe it later. And when she tells us of her observations, we are enchanted not only by her speakings but also by the music of her voice.  The most mediocre of words is made alive with it's sound. A curly topped fairy who dances to the notes her own melodies, scrunching her face together to grasp a new thought or leaning forward with one arm outstretched in awe of what's before her. Wonder.

This morning she dressed for a trip to Costco. A jumper, a shimmery, fur collared jacket and her glittery princess shoes. I didn't contest her choice, beg her to wear something "normal." I complimented her fancy-ness, she answered with glasses and jewelry galore. I packed a bag of  "normal" clothes and by the time we reached our destination she was ready to lose the jewelry, glasses, shimmery jacket and shoes. So we did a costume change right there in the car, no questions asked. And then we shopped and she filled my cart with wordings and laughter.





"This is what I wear to Costco," she explained," My dress. My sparkly jacket. My princess heart shoes. My glasses. My neckace. I'm ready to go."


2 comments:

Ragriffi said...

I love that you blog about your daughter. She is SOOOO LOVED by her parents and it will be a great realization when she gets older and can read about who she is.

Princess Poopsie said...

H loves looking at the pics of her precious Evie. And I love listening to her words. :)