Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Ordinary

It's funny how even ordinary things become simply wonderful. Let's take a shower as our example today. I love to take those few minutes to myself when the tornado is under the watchful eyes of daddy. The sound of the water drowns out the noise of the world and it's warm like a tropical vacation. No need to put my contacts in first soI can see just how much the tub needs cleaning. Just relax and enjoy....

On two recent occasions those longed for quiet moments were not quite so dreamy....

The first experience was after my wonderful get-a-way had ended and I had checked in for little monkey duty. It was daddy's turn for a few minutes in the tropics. Evs and I were making breakfast when daddy returned. "Wow," he said, "did you see the giant spider on the shower handle?" Anyone who knows me knows of my great dislike for the entire bug population. My blind eyes did NOT see Mr. Spider. Maybe it was just as well that my contacts were safely tucked away in the medicine cabinet that day. The neighbors would have heard my scream...

Fast forward one week to story number 2. Daddy and little monkey were in the living room, so I thought it was safe to slip away. I'm not quite sure how things happened, but even the shower couldn't drown out the sound. Crash, bang...what was all that noise? Drum roll practice in the living room...a REAL tornado...all that snow caving in our roof? No peace for mommy that morning. Curiosity (and yes, I admit, a little frustration) got the best of me and I hurried to peek my head out the door. There she was. She was not alone. She had carefully selected my current read- a hardcover book- and a few of her own hard, plastic toys and used them against the bathroom door. A protest, no doubt, for being left alone. Alone...where was daddy? Well, he did hear the banging but thought all was well, since there were no tears. Valid point there:)

And through it all there is joy...much joy!

No comments: