Monday, March 7, 2011

hope-colored glasses

A hand reaches out from under the warm covers and stretches toward the little table beside the bed. Patting the top gently, the hand knows exactly what its "feeling" for. The hand picks up....glasses. 

All of my days begin this way. Without my glasses- I'm hopeless. And when I put them on instantly I can see again. It's almost a miracle of sorts. I wonder what it must have felt like for those whom Jesus healed. They were blind, sick, desperate and in an instant- seeing, whole, joyful! 

Life has been a bit desperate and discouraging lately. I wish Jesus would come and touch the struggles and the hurts and heal them. We pray, fully trusting that God could change it all- but He doesn't. And so it becomes a perspective thing...where we have to pray that God gives us new eyes to look at the same situation. Not the false rosy glow of denial or self-reliance but the peace and joy of hope-colored glasses. 

What do hope-colored glasses look like?  I paint the picture in my mind...horn rimmed, pale pink, maybe a rhinestone or two. If I'm going to be wearing these things all the time I would like them to be cute and fun. I'm putting them on and taking a look in the mirror. Not bad, although I find it fascinating that they seem to keep my eyes focused upward. 

What changes through these lenses? 
"Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction (evidence) of things not seen."Heb 11:1
Being confident that what I know to be true about God IS really true- despite what my feelings or circumstances tell me...
"...and though you have not seen Him, you love Him, and though you do not see Him now, but believe in Him, you greatly rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory." 1 Peter 1:8
There is joy to be found in this dark and silent place because He IS here...
"...while we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen; for the things which are seen are temporal but the things which are not seen are eternal." II Corinthians 4:18
I can raise my eyes above the hopelessness to see a God at work
"For in hope we have been saved, but hope that is seen is not hope; for who hopes for what he already sees? But, if we hope for what we do not see, with perseverance we wait eagerly for it." Romans 8:24-25
If I know that God's gospel is true- I can trust that His promises are true.
"Now He who prepared us for this very purpose is God, who gave to us the Spirit as a pledge, therefore, being always of good courage, and knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord, for we walk by faith not by sight, we are of good courage." II Corinthians 5:5-7
I can close my eyes, put my hand in the hand of my Savior and step forward in full confidence...

I like the view from here. It's so against the nature of myself to see the unseen and feel hopeful about that. Jeepers, these glasses don't stay on very well -is it my design or just the nature of these sort of things? I'm holding them up...I can't let go for a second. But that's okay- I think it's the only way I'll see my way through this....

1-He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty.
2-I will say to the Lord,"My refuge and my fortress, my God in whom I trust!"
3-For it his He who delivers you from the snare of the trapper and from the deadly pestilence
4-He will cover you with His pinions, and under His wings you may seek refuge; His faithfulness is a shield and bulwark...
15-He will call upon Me, and I will answer him, I will be with him in trouble; I will rescue him and honor him.
Psalms 91

No comments: