Monday, February 20, 2012

evie-isms

My child is a comedian. If she didn't look so much like Andy and I, one could perhaps wonder if we brought the right child home from the hospital.  We aren't particularly funny people but she makes life hilarious! Over the past couple of days, Evie has been full of more funnies than Facebook can keep up with. So, pull out your courtesy laugh and humor me...


It was a damp, dark night. I was behind the wheel with Evie strapped safely in the seat behind me. She filled the car with her stories and songs, her cheery little heart declaring her love for the world around her. I reached into my purse for something and came across a sucker in between my wallet and day planner. And so...I turned up Evie's CD, to cover any plastic sounds, carefully unwrapped it and popped it into my mouth with the stick facing left. We drove on, Evie in happy oblivion, and I, reveling in my stroke of genius. It took about 2 minutes but then, I heard it. The sound of that little nose poked up into the air, trying to catch a whiff of something. "Mom, what's that smell?" she asked. I played dumb, "What smell?" "That smell I keep smelling. Is that a sucker?" More sniffing the air. "I SMELL A SUCKER!" she declared. And indeed she did. 

I will preface this with a little background. Our mail carriers are typically women. As a result, Evie has decided that all mail delivery people are "mail ladies." We don't correct her, unless we are talking directly to a male mail carrier and need to clarify things. And this did indeed happen one time, only I didn't think to correct her and the mail-"man" gave us a little explanation. Today, as we were driving home, we passed the Post Office and saw a long line of mail trucks parked. "Oh Look!" Evie exclaimed,"It's a mail-lady splosion!"

We arrived home from our errand doings. On normal days, we make a stop at our post box before heading inside. Today, however, there was no mail due to the Presidents Day Holiday. She was very confused by this. "Mommy," she asked,"why can't we get the mail?"
"The mail lady is not bringing the mail today," I said,"so we don't need to go to the box. It's empty."
She looked unsure. "Did the mail lady take our mail? Is she going to bring it back?"
"It's Presidents Day," I explained, " a holiday to honor presidents. The mail lady doesn't bring mail on Presidents Day."
"OH GREAT!" she exclaimed with delight," It's presents day! When do we get to open presents? Can we open them tonight?"
She never did grasp the meaning, but she hasn't mentioned the presents since, so I think we're okay.

Evie loves tools. I think she loves tools almost as much as her daddy does. They regularly work together with tools or read books about tools. She often pulls out tool names and incorporates them, completely out of context, into every day life. A few months ago she called out "wooden mallet" all the way through our shopping trip to Target. Today, I was snuggling her before her nap. She likes to burrow into my arms, her fuzzy blanket wrapped around. She closed her eyes, her breathing slowed and then she startled me with a loud voice, "C-CLAMP!" This was followed by rounds of raucous laughter, she started it and I couldn't help but join in. Never one to let a laugh get away, "C-CLAMP" was regularly repeated, then followed with much laughter. I put her to bed, she was still laughing. The perfect way to fall asleep...

Evie piped up. "He's Grandma's favorite."
"Who's Grandma's favorite?" I asked.
"Brad. Brad is Grandma's favorite. (long pause) I love Brad. Brad is my favorite."

How good God is to give me such a gift. I could fill pages with stories of her sillies. Today though, I hope you find a little cheer to lift your heart as you see life through the eyes of an Evie....

2 comments:

Princess Poopsie said...

Thanks for the hilarious Evie post. I laughed my way through it!! :) And yes, I wholeheartedly agree, Brad is grandma's favorite. hahahaha.

Alan Ducommun said...

What will she be like as a teenager?