Saturday, June 23, 2012

my birthday girl


Three years ago today I was given a gift.

A little tiny wee babe with her daddy's smile was laid in my arms and my heart melted.

And we've been celebrating life ever since.



Three years ago today.
And then time sprouted wings and we're still trying to catch it...

Yay for 1st birthdays and big scary candles!
"Hot!"



Celebrating 2




Then she was 3.
And she woke up full of birthday cheer and energy-galore.

"These are my mow clothes," she declared, donning on her rainboots and
heading out with daddy to hot mow the grass.

Birthday parades are more fun with friends.
Thank you, Shalom, Israel & Magdelene!

And then a truck full of squirt gun people drove past. And Mr. My-squirtgun-is-as-powerful-as-a-firehose decided to use my daughter as his target. Trying to be brave, she came to me with tears welled up in her eyes, completely soaked from head to toe. So we changed her shirt and the parade marched on.

"Theres the siren sounds!!"
Emergency vehicles,undeniably Evie's favorite
and least favorite part of the whole parade all in one.


And so she covered her ear, cautiously waving with the other hand but perfectly
 capable of clamping it over her uncovered ear if those siren sounds got out of hand.

What every girl dreams of...blowing out the candle on her birthday apple.


After many unsuccessful attempts to feed the other petting zoo animals,
Evie found a guy with an appetite.


Ever wonder what a "round and round and blink, blink, blink" is? Why a carnival, of course.
It's full of blinking light covered things that go round and round.

And when we pulled into the parking lot she nearly burst with excitement.
"Oh woooooow! It's just amazing! I can't believe it!"

Little biker babe.
No helmet.
We are risk takers.

We leaned in for a photo.
A helicopter flew over.

They leaned in for a photo.
A loud car went by.

You get the picture.

Uncle Chad, Auntie Sheri, Victoria & Hannah
sent a little birthday magic.
(And I have no idea what caught her attention.)


And one whirlwind later, the day was done. After a long day of laughing, playing, parade watching, sweet eating, candle blowing out, carnival rides, birthday singing and celebrating the sun went down. We snuggled up on the couch together and listened to daddy read Evie's birthday Psalm, just as he has every year since her very first "birth" day in our arms. We prayed and sang together. And then I scooped up my sleepy little 3 year old girl and we rocked. She twirled my hair between her fingers. I smelled the sweetness of her skin and whispered my love in her ear.

Goodnight, birthday girl.
Let's celebrate again tomorrow!


No comments: